Today on President’s Day 2017 we had a fantastic turnout and great weather (sunny and near 60 deg) for the installation and construction of the kiosk and digital nature trail posts at the Purple Heart trail. This is a project where the Jackson Pathfinders are partnering with the Jackson Environmental Commission via funding by an ANJEC grant for the construction of an interpretive trail at the Bunker Hill Bogs in Jackson. We expect to complete the project in the next 2 months.
Special thanks to the following:
- Troop 152 who showed up with enthusiasm and helped with lugging of some equipment and supplies, trail trimming and for doing some long overdue bulk trash cleanup in the East Cranberry Bog
- Earle Tree Service for donating some time and equipment for the main construction of the kiosk and digging of holes
- Ocean County Votech of Brick for building of roof structure of the kiosk
- Jackson Pathfinders and Jackson Environmental Commision for envisioning the project and helping during construction
- ANJEC for the main funding of the project via the Open Space Stewardship Funding grant
If you are interested in volunteering or just wish to make a comment or suggestion use one of the following means of communication:
There are many opportunities to assist individually or as a group such as with the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. Some ideas follow.
Get Involved by Participating
You or your organization can participate in any of our activities.
- Join any of our trail work days throughout the year
- Sign up for our “Adopt a Trail” or “Keep It Nice” programs
- Approach the Pathfinders with a scouting project such as Eagle Scout project or to simply take your den or pack on a hike and bring some bags to do some cleanup. Or the younger scouts can play “stick in the mud” where they can gather and throw sticks in the mud to help soak up water on some of the wetter trails.
- Join us in our hiking or other group activities
Become an Active Member
We have a lot of committees (see About the Pathfinders for a complete list) where you can volunteer to be elected as a formal member of Pathfinders. Use your skills and/or learn some new ones.
- Mapping (using Global Positioning System or GPS)
- Grants, Land Acquisition
- Trail Management
- Bicycling, Hiking, Fishing
- Membership, Publicity, Event Planning
Contact the Membership Committee for more information.
The Jackson Pathfinders in cooperation with the Jackson Environmental Commission have been awarded an Open Space Stewardship Funding grant from Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissions (ANJEC) in the amount of $1300 for an environmental awareness project at the Purple Heart trail.
The project includes constructing an informational kiosk at a midway point along the Purple Heart trail and a self-guided digital nature walk (interpretive trail) having numerous informational signs along the way to educate the public on local natural resources. In addition to the informational signs themselves, there will be QR codes that you can scan using your mobile device to immediately obtain more details online for the given subject. Links are expected to be hosted on the Pathfinders website.
The project is expected to be completed by Summer 2017. As always we welcome any volunteers to assist with the project. As an example, Ocean County Vocational Technical School in Brick is graciously constructing the kiosk off-site for us.
Shown are some photos taken from previous projects along the Silver Stream and Steve Kitay Living Trails.
Below are some sites the Jackson Pathfinders are either affiliated with or recommend: